Tuesday, June 28, 2011

What Have I Done (5 new drum machines on the way)

So I went from no drum machines to finding some great deals, asking them if they'd ship and not hearing back, to suddenly they all replied with "yes". Thankfully the deals are great enough that I can keep half of these and sell the other half to pay for the 1st half and end up with a few drum machines effectively for free.

So, what did I buy? In order of most exciting to medium-exciting:

Tama Techstar TS-305
Weird progressive techno bleeps and bloops? Not the same overused roland x0x boxes? Enter the TS-305. It's a bit bigger than I'd prefer, but not much should compare to completely analog adjustable drums.


Tama Techstar TS-204
Companion to the 305. Adds a synth and a clap. Pairs with the 305 (which I actually bought from a different seller in a different country) and I'll likely keep these together. Not sure if the synth can be 1v/oct CV controlled or is just triggered beeps. Will have to play!


Roland TR-707
A classic house drum machine. Excited to be able to use the separate outs as a trigger brain for the TS-305/204 combo until I build a dedicated MIDI->trigger rig. This unit was super cheap as half the voices apparently don't work. I'm expecting it to be the slide volume pots but some time with the oscilliscope will sort this out I'm sure. I really like this diabolical devices circuit bending, it's very useable bends (not just shitty noise), might have to replicate once it's fixed.


Yamaha RX5
Did not plan on getting this but the seller threw it in for $75 shipped and a ton of blogs suggest it's "most underrated drum machine ever". Two videos convinced me to get it for $75.

One: this thing can do dark techno with the ability to pitch samples down two octaves reverse, and add their own loop points.


Two: This thing can do pure SNES. Unfortunately I can't find the video supporting this statement right now but basically this can act as a 16-channel MIDI device and play all it's samples across the keyboard.

I'll take a moment to mention that videos of the RX5 are good examples why circuit bending should be a means to a useable end and not applied just because they make an terrible noise effect.

I'll also take a minute to say I hate when a company starts re-using their product codes between product lines. I guess when you make everything from drum machines to motorcycles it's inevitable.

Last but not least: The Boss Dr. Pad 1.


I guess this thing is digital? I thought it was analog but doesn't sound like it from the video. Oh well, this on "hand clap" next to my SP303 and incoming korg monotribe will be a fun jam setup!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home