Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Turning Original XBOX into Arcade Machine

So I bought an old JAMMA arcade cabinet. JAMMA is a standard interconnect so that you can take a generic cabinet with monitor and control panel, and plug different games into it. Arcade owners benefitted by only needing to buy new PCBs instead of entire new consoles when they wanted to change games.

My initial idea when I bought an arcade cabinet was to put an old XBOX in there, get rid of all the existing wiring & monitor, and drop in the xbox. For controls I was going to hand-wire the arcade buttons to my existing xbox controllers. This has a few problems:

  • The monitor. I was going to have to hack into place a TV. This was probably going to be ugly at best, and dangerous at worst.
  • The controls. Hand soldering to the tiny controller pads? That wouldn't take a good bashing & kicking an arcade machine should be able to take while grinning.

In other words: bad solution. If you want to put an XBOX into a JAMMA cabinet it looks like your best solution is to wire up your controls to the JAMMA cab in a standard fashion and then get a XBOX to JAMMA adapter. Now you have a standard JAMMA cab that could still play other PCBs if you bought them, and a MAME box! Best of both worlds!

I don't think I'm going to do this though. My cabinet has a vertical monitor and while it'll lack the 2-player games, I think I'm going to go with the 60-in-1 classic games. It's emulated ROMs but provides a ton of classic gaming.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At September 19, 2011 at 6:55 PM , Blogger sharpfork said...

do the xbox1 + coinops 2.

 
At September 23, 2011 at 9:45 AM , Blogger Tom said...

@sharpfork, thanks for the input. It looks like the best plan once I get bored of Street Fighter :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home